Honoring 75 Years – The History of Omaha’s World War II Memorial Park Exhibit at the Durham Museum
June 3 - September 3
America entered World War II following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Before the outcome of the war was even assured, in 1943 Mrs. Lulu N. Broad, owner of the Gypsy Tea House, wrote a letter to Henry Doorly, publisher of the Omaha World-Herald, suggesting construction of a memorial for Douglas County area service men and women.
After nearly a year of study by Omaha civic leaders, the World War Memorial Association, a charitable corporation, was formed and suggested the 65-acre tract of land formerly occupied by the Happy Hollow Country Club and later, the Dundee golf course, to become the site of a permanent tribute for those men and women who served our country in the U.S. military.
On June 5, 1948, one day before the fourth anniversary of the invasion of Normandy (“D-Day”) the citizens of Omaha welcomed President Harry S. Truman to formally dedicate World War II Memorial Park to the people of Douglas County.
The Durham Museum is proud to partner with the Omaha Parks Foundation to highlight the 75th anniversary of this Omaha landmark.
To learn more about the 75th anniversary celebration visit omahaparksfoundation.org/memorial-park-75